A New Travelog Begins!
April 28, 2008
In about 8 hours time, I’ll be moving down a runway at 150+ mph in an Airbus A340 ready to take off for Dublin, Ireland. I figured since I have a blog, it would be a lot easier than sending out mass emails, forgetting people, etc. So that’s what I’ll be doing. I hope to update this as we traipse across the countryside, or, at the very least, record things and post them later. Plus, since I only have a 2 GB SD card for my camera right now, I’ll probably be uploading as I go.
Theoretically at least, all these travel posts will be less verbose than other ones. Theoretically. I also have some other things half finished sitting around, and one or two may even get finished while I’m there, but don’t count on it.
So for starters, here’s an itinerary:
- Fly to Dublin, bus to Galway. Spend a day in Galway.
- Ferry to the Aran Islands, stay at the Pier House.
- Ferry back to Galway, rent a car and visit the Cliffs of Moher. Drive back across to Dublin.
- Spend 2-3 days in Dublin, staying at the Kingfisher. Katie flies home Monday the 5th. Libby and I fly to London.
- Libby flies back to Ireland on the 9th.
- Fly back to Dublin, then back to Dulles on Monday the 12th.
As quick as I can, photos will be uploaded to Smugmug. My friend Alex put me on to Adobe Lightroom, the new version of which is currently a free download in beta. So I’ve been doing some experimenting with it to learn how to process good pictures, or good subjects that perhaps didn’t turn out quite as good as they could be. The results of those experiments are pretty neat, although I worry about print versions. Alex also let me borrow a 70-300mm and a 50mm f1.8 lens to complement the 24-85mm and Canon 20D I already bought from him. Thanks Alex!
Since 2006, when a bunch of us went to Italy, I’ve had an ever increasing desire to travel more. This should kick things off nicely! See everyone in a couple of weeks!
Hi I'm Greg. Occasionally, I do things.