Hey 👋🏼 I'm Greg.
- 3 amazing kids and 1 amazing wife
- Still go to church
- Split time between Maryland and Delaware
- Bought a pontoon boat to hang out, fish, and drink beer
- 42 and still feel like a wide-eyed little kid
- Wrote software or led software teams for a living for 20 years, including some fun machine learning and model training stuff
- Bought our 2nd house at the beach 5 years ago and paid it off
- Runs a lot
- Like Erasmus, would choose books first over food and clothes
- Raced cars and taught other people how to race cars
- Helped build a company from 2 to 200+
- Love building things out of (wood | words | code | ideas)
Things I've Written
A Random Note on Cost of Living
I wanted to state a brief, obvious point. I think when most people think about the cost of living, they look at maps like this and think: it’s really cheap to live in the green areas and that’s good…May 26, 2023
AI Mood Affiliations
I love throwing ideas for poems at ChatGPT. It does a good job at doggerel and a decent job at anything more. Which means it’s better than almost all of humanity and faster too. Anyway, here’s two…May 25, 2023
We Need More Hemp - AI and Curated Internet Gardens
A good friend read a post of mine on this here parochial blog mere hours after I wrote it. I asked him how he saw it so fast and this is what he said: It’s funny. I deleted my Facebook app like…May 24, 2023
One of my biggest critiques of the environmental movement is a kind of false optimism about the primacy of nature. There’s an underlying believe that Mother Nature knows better than humans and that…May 23, 2023
Time To Build
I’m not going to lie, I ripped this title off from an excellent book. Because like everything else, of course this relates back to a book I read. It’s time to build again. Life has seasons. Some of…May 22, 2023
Peter Thiel is renowned and vilified in equal parts: he’s one of the most rebellious members of the public intellectual clique, and he wears his non-conformity on his sleeve. Earlier this year he…March 28, 2023
There's plenty more to read too
Things I'm Reading
- The Master and Margarita- Mikhail Bulgakov
- The Beginning of Infinity- David Deutsch
That's 24 books so far this year.
Workouts I've Killed
- 3.1 Mile Run, 4 days ago26:32 at 8:34 pace
- 5 Mile Run, 5 days ago53:53 at 10:45 pace
- 1.5 Mile Run, 7 days ago18:12 at 12:8 pace
- 3.12 Mile Run, 9 days ago34:07 at 10:55 pace
- 2.01 Mile Run, 11 days ago16:00 at 7:56 pace
Things I'm Wondering
- How are phones and technology changing the way we grow up?
- What do people actually need out of college?
- How can more people enjoy two houses?
- How can work on small projects drive family revenue?
- What does it take to write a spy novel?